A VISIT TO THE NATIONAL MUSEUM, LAGOS

Visiting the museum has always been on my bucket list of things to do. It was even more exciting because it was the opportunity for me to spend quality time with my nieces and little nephew. My neighbors' children were not left out. In all, we were nine that visited the National Museum.

The National Museum, Lagos is one of the oldest museums in Nigeria, located at Onikan. The museum has other exciting places surrounding it, such as the City Mall, Governor's office, Blue Line Rail amongst others.

The location of the museum is a good choice for a tourist attraction due to its proximities to other  places. Prior to the visit, I had earlier sent an email and some Whatsapp messages to inquire about the necessary details, such as fee, what can be brought in and so on. However, I only got a reply to my email about three weeks later, where I was instructed to write a letter to the Curator of the museum, the number of children I am bring and would pay 500 naira per child- the amount an adult would pay was not stated.
I wrote the letter for the visit to be fixed for that weekend, but never got a reply back. But I went with my crew all the same.

Saturday came, and in a flourishing and exciting mood, we trooped out in a cab to the National Museum. The children were all excited to be out, while I was silently pondering over the cost of entertaining toddlers, children, two others on the cusp of teenage hood, a teenager and two adults (including myself). We arrived late to the museum because the rain had earlier seized the day. After assuring ourselves that the weather would weathered down and not to kill the enthusiasm of the children lest, they label me as an adult that does not keep to her words.



Arriving at the museum, we were directed to the reception, where they were already expecting us. It was at that point, I was informed that adults are expected to pay a fee of 1,000 naira. I paid for all nine of us and thus our tour began.



Following the letter I wrote to the curator, we had the opportunity of the curator of the museum give us a personalized tour of the museum and learnt of its history. My little nephew of one year was so excited to be out and was walking about "learning" alongside others. There was another tour group and together, we learnt about the artefacts and history and culture of a few tribes. We also saw the car former military head of states, General Muritala Muhammed was in when he was assassinated in 1976- they do not make those kind of cars anymore or maybe we just do not have it here. The curator also took us to the see how tie and dye and adire were being made. It was wonderful to see the fascination in the children's eyes.

After the tour, we all trooped to the playground for the children to play on the swing and slides. And when it was closing time, the children were gathered again by the curator, who asked them a few questions about the tour he gave them. Earlier on, he had instructed them to take note of some important information which might be useful for them in the future.

It is important to note that if you want a personalized guide of the museum, you will making a booking via email inquiry and also pay the curator a separate fee, aside the one you are expected to pay to access the museum. Otherwise, you can visit he museum anytime within working hours.

To round up our visit to the museum, we strolled to the City Mall which was adjacent the National Museum. After some walkabout the mall, we book a ride back to the mainland to relish our visit to the museum and a week after, one of the toddlers, the children, the other two on the cusp of teenage hood, the teenager and one of the adults prepared to return back to school. The sponsor continued on with her life as an aunt, a beloved neighbor (I hope), a post-graduate student and a worker.

The visit to the museum was one of the activities I set out for my nephew and nieces to enjoy during the long holiday-just us. Before then, we had done a visit to the cinema and took a stroll in the mall. We also went to the park- the University of Lagos Lagoon Front where we had a picnic and finally, the visit to the museum.

The visit to the museum was suppose to be for my niblings and I. But I decided to include my neighbour's two children, only for my neighbour's youngest to tell her two friends- who were former neighbour's by the way. And that was how I ended up taking seven children to the museum.

I hope you enjoy reading about our visit to the museum, and hope it serves as a reminder to do things for the most vulnerable in our families and within our community.

Finally, if you have visited any other museum, say in Europe, the US and some developed Asian countries, please do not use those to make comparison with the National Museum in Lagos.

Thank you. Xoxo












Comments

Popular Posts